Great tips here to get started, get organized, and have fun!
With the groom...
- Determine your budget. Consult with family members if they are contributing.
- Choose; location of wedding and reception, theme, invitations, save-the-date cards, caterer, music, photographer. And plan your honeymoon together.
- Go together for yummy food and cake tastings, and have fun together picking out potential gifts for your wedding registry.
- Meet with your ceremony officiate to discuss wedding details. Attend premarital counseling. Write wedding vows together, if you choose.
- Decide who will coordinate lodging for out of town guests.
- Purchase gifts to honor the children in the wedding party, and for parents, or anyone that helps with your wedding.
- Go for blood tests (required in some states) and marriage license. Check with your state to verify type of I.D. needed.
- Send handwritten thank-you notes for all gifts that you receive, from the shower to the wedding, in a timely manner (preferably within 3 months after the wedding).
Your role before the wedding...
- Compile list of guests from your side of the family.
- Choose your wedding gown, undergarments, shoes, hair style, jewelry, and make-up. Hire a make-up artist and hairstylist if it fits within your budget.
- Choose bridesmaids/attendants and your honor attendant.
- Plan a get-together for attendants, i.e. luncheon or "girls day out", if it fits within your budget.
- Buy gifts for the attendants, including bridesmaids and honor attendants.
- Buy a gift for the groom, and the grooms wedding band.
- Work with wedding planner (if hiring one), or DIY to book and coordinate venue, bakers, caterers, D.J.'s, photographers, florists and anyone who will be there for the big day.
- For the wedding shower, give guests names and addresses to host or hostess of shower, join in on the fun, and make sure to send handwritten thank-you notes to all.
- Make DIY wedding decorations, centerpieces, favors, and even gifts for the wedding party. Allow enough time, so you're not in panic mode right before the big day!
- Get your personal stuff in order...change your name on credit cards, bank account, an insurance policies. Make sure your passport is up to date if traveling out of the country.
- The day before, enjoy a mani-pedi...alone or with your family and attendants.
For the honeymoon...
- Remember your budget when planning!
- Shop for sexy lingerie, massage oils, etc.
- Coordinate sitters if leaving children or pets at home.
- Pack for honeymoon, and don't forget sunscreen, and medications. There's nothing worse than a sunburn on a romantic getaway!
Important...Remember, when planning for your wedding..stuff happens and plans may have to change accordingly. Be flexible, have a sense of humor, go with the flow, and have fun!